tirsdag 24. november 2009

Computergames and swearing...

Sometimes it feels like waste of time to have played a video or computer game. Today I played a game called "Heroes of Newerth" (on a laptop with linux ubuntu os). Its a online game. They have a nice system to match equal opponents: pro is the best, noobs allowed is medium, and noobs is worst. Since I am complete newbie to the game I chose to play agains "noobs".

When the game starts I am supposed to choose a hero. The first time, I go for a panda with a bamboostick. I am supposed to buy uppgrades for my hero, and I buy some health potions. I am also supposed to choose what hero-skill I want to upgrade, and I choose the "smack the enemy with bamboostick"-upgrade.

I have 4 human controlled hero-allies on my team. From our base, computer-controlled smaller allies begin their mission to kill enemy , and I join them. I use my hero skill upgrade and kill small computer-controlled enemy. Soon I get to level 2, and I am therefore allowed to choose more upgrades: Level 2 bamboostick-smack...

An enemy hero attacks me. I try to defend myself whith the double-bamboosmack, but he kills me easily. The same pattern repeats itself later. Then my allies write to me: "ffs" "omg" "damn" "stupid" and and a long "neverending" list of swearwords. And of course they call me "noob". I ask them if this is a for-noobs-game, and they confirm that it is correct. According to them my rank should be "ultrasupadopa-noob loser of Newerth". Some of them suggests that I should just uninstall the game.

Later I play together with a friend. He suggests that I should play with a tree-hero, and his heroskill is to be invisible. We play on the same team. First I use the hero skill wrong; I didn't hide in the forest. My friend uses alot of swearwords, and does not understand how it is possible to get killed when "invisible". When I learn to use the skill, I realize that I is quite boring to just be invisible, so i quit. On screen it's displayed: RAGEQUIT.

So why did I write all this? I notice that some people who play coop online games swear more than others, and that is for me perceived as obscene phraseology to express negative feelings in an effective way, and that is not so kind.


2 kommentarer:

  1. haha.. that was a little bit funny.... hehe.. I had to laugh. so funny that you sucked so much as a noob.. hehe

    SvarSlett
  2. I sucked? Like a vacuum cleaner that suck up dust and dirt?

    SvarSlett

Hvem kan bli årets kommentator mon tro...